View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
I can hear that his down strokes last longer than his up strokes. Not everyone's version of this will have the down stroke exactly twice as long as the upstroke but for notation purposes this is a good, practical, way to represent that particular rhythm.

To be pedantic, it is a guitar forum after all, I don't think of these as beats in themselves, but rather as divisions of one beat.

I see this as three beats in a bar and each beat is divided into three. Standard swing time is four beats in the bar with each beat divided into three. As tempos increase the distinction between different types of beat division can get harder to spot and to play. In a slower song the division of the beat into three would be clearer.
I think everyone here agrees it's a compound time, 3 divisions to the beat. The number of beats per measure is open to interpretation, apparently. I was asking what made you choose 9 rather than 6 or 12. I realize there's a point where it doesn't matter, but I'm working on understanding all this. Go ahead and be pedantic, I teach in university - won't bother me none.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)