View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Default New guitar and amp, Epi Les Paul and Laney

I'll post up some pics soon. I was looking for a rig to give a little more overdrive for those odd times that I use it. The Fenders and Vox will do it with my single coils, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, so I went amp shopping. Originally, I was thinking Marshall but no local shops had one that was small enough for my needs. Then, I tried a Laney 12r and was really enjoying the tone.

While playing the Laney with a variety of guitars, I happened to pick up an Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom EX Plus with active EMG pickups. The combo of the active pickups and the Laney was way better than I expected. The LP was on sale, so I was able to get the guitar and amp for $1k. I'm really enjoying them so far. I can get some great Knopfler-like overdrive with this combo.

The LP is heavy but balances fairly well. It's the sapphire blue version and is a nice looking guitar. Fit and finish are superb on this particular guitar. Tone and volume knobs are smooth and the shop gave it a good setup, so the action is spot on. Frets are dressed well and the fretboard has a good feel. I have not played this guitar clean very much or through my Fender or Vox amps, so I'm not sure how the EMGs will sound clean. Since I mostly bought this for the crunch, I'm not too awfully concerned. I have strats and teles and P90 equipped guitars for that clean tone.

The Laney seems to have pretty good digital reverb and I like that you can choose the wattage for more or less crunch. Everything seems to work smoothly and I'm not getting any tube rattler like these sometimes have. So far, so good. The size is also very nice for home use.

Will post some pics soon.