View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I realize that I haven't asked for your opinion Cuki. Which would you choose and why?
I have no idea. Turbosound has one bad review of mechanical stability in a french forum.

I'd probably wait for JBL to solve the line input gain problem and include the DSP-bluetooth-phone/tablet combo with EON connect app (available on JBL EON 600 series).

Harman has a strong integration policy (may be stronger than Behringer-Music group). Digitech trio uses Band in a box sounds and patterns. Soundcraft UI uses digitech guitar modelling, Lexicon reverb and dbx antifeedback.

In the future there is a good probability that JBL make a line array with everything in a box.

I think the goal of the portable line array is to have one box with "almost" everything. Bose L1C is very close but I want a 200Hz crossover, no Tonematch correction on the guitar input and parametric EQ. Now all companies make too many compromises to go under 1000$.

And I don't want any compromise. If I have to make compromises, I can stay with what I have. Every year there are new products. The HK nano 608i is the first of its kind but it is definitely the future. Soundcraft has just released the UI24R with studer preamps... There will make a v2.0 of the ui12 and ui18 with all problem solved and by then probably many good things will be transfered to JBL.

At some point also, someone will release something that really compete with Bose and push Bose to update the L1C.

I think time will give us the answer.

I once visited Agilent Technologies (Former Hewlett Packard and now Keysight) and one of the directors told me: We have the technology,we have the product but the market is ready to spend 1$ and the product costs 2$. So we are not ready yet. Then the guy showed me a box openned it and put out an optical mouse. he said "That's how we made the most money, it's pretty stupid, does not have great technology... But we sold thousands of them".

I bet our dream PA exists somewhere in Bose, JBL, HK, Turbosound or LD systems labs... It just does not yet cost the price you are willing to pay for.

Martingitdave, from your previous adventures (D-28A 37 and D-28 centennial), I would say you will not stop until you will find the exact answer to your need.

Are you really sure that something on the market suits exactly your need?

I seriously doubt it.

What I would do:
* I would use studio monitors with an all analog quality preamp-mixer path at home for solo rehearsal. No digital stuff... Just your voice and a great Martin with good mic and preamp. If you sound good this way... Then you are good.

* For small size gig, I would use the XR12 with anything (JBL or Harbinger... whatever). Save money and wait for the real thing to be released. Because it will.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/