View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I have been following this thread and I have two quick questions in the above discription Did you mean to type " Point the SDC directly at the guitar" ?
yes, oops, this is what I get for posting before I'm awake. I'll correct that in the post.

Quote:
And you talk about a decoder plugin is this a requirement for MS recording ? Thanks, Kev
What has to happen is that you have the mid mic centered in the mix. The side channel has to be replicated, with the replica 180 degrees out of phase (inverted polarity). Then you pan one of the side tracks hard left, the other hard right. It's actually a mathematical transformation Right = (Mid+Side), Left = (Mid-Side) that produces, in theory, the same effect as XY. Do a search on the web and you'll find papers with all the math, etc.

You can do this manually with most DAWs, but there are a number of plugins that just do this magically for you.

The cool thing about MS is that you can adjust the relative width of the stereo image simply by how much side you bring in. Further, within reasonable limits, if you collapse to mono, you truly get mono, with no phasing issues, because Left+Right = (Mid+Side) + (Mid-Side) = Mid. In mono, the side mic simply dissappears!