View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 06:58 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I have a 00-17 12 fret Black Smoke and I'm always amazed by how resonant and loud it is for such a small guitar. It's not a black paint either...more like an opaque stain with some grey in there too. I like satin finishes (probably from my Larrivee 03 days?) and the fact that it's so light does contribute to the overall tonal effect IMO.
Regarding how this DSS-17 compares to the D-18 (post 2012) I have to believe that the 18 is much more rich (not a tern usually associated with a mahogany back and sides Martin dread) sounding. The 17 will most likely be way more dry and woody. At least that's how the 0017s sounds.
All that being said...I sold an old D-15 I kept at my river cabin a week ago and have kinda been looking to replace it. All this chatter about the DSS-17 made me contact Jon @ MFG and he had one in Whiskey Sunset. So I took the bait and went to the bottom! Should be here next week. I'll certainly share my opinion then. You guys are such a bad influence?!?
Good for you, Jim. Hope you love it. I think you’re going to find it’s quite a bit different than that 00-17. Looking forward to your NGD thread.