View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

I just wanted to follow up on this as I ended up buying a PMB-1 and a K&K Trinity system and had the chance to test them last night. I was able to confirm my earlier suspicion regarding the bias voltage. When running on battery power I measured 8.5v on the ring and the mic worked fine. When I changed over to the AC adapter, the bias voltage went up to 11.4v and the mic no longer worked. I only powered it on the adapter long enough to hear the same hiss that other users have been reporting, and it worked fine on battery power afterwards so no damage seems to have occurred.

So, despite the fact that K&K has taken a hard stance that one of their preamps MUST be used (the Quantum Blender and Trinity Pro both deliver 9v as per the spec sheets), it would seem that as long as the preamp chosen delivers 9v or less it should be suitable for powering these new Trinity systems. My Trinity was just purchased from Shoreline and is dated Oct 2017, so it's definitely a new version.

I also have a Solstice and measured about 14.5v coming from that, and since the AC powered Raven delivering 11.4v didn't work I didn't bother to go any further testing the DTAR.

Last edited by Ryan Alexander; 12-06-2017 at 06:49 AM.