View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
After an (admittedly cursory ) quick look at the web sight, some possible red flags jumped out . I could be wrong but at first glance is appears to be primarily a midi oriented music production DAW. And unfortunately sometimes "user friendly" can simply mean limited in workflow features, some of which are or can be very very important in learning how to create consistent audio production .
For example the bundled EZQ eq, is completely functionally inadequate for learning about and consistently implementing even simple EQ adjustments, for things like vocal and acoustic guitar . What it claims to be making "simple" by eliminating, is in fact the very things actually really necessary to learn about and understand what the function of EQ is. Unfortunately it takes away the most important aspects of EQ control , the ability to define and select specific frequencies (by actual Hz number) and being able to control the Q (band width ) and being able to cut or boost by specific decibels. And it does not appear to do subtractive EQ arguably the most important EQ method to learn and use

There are a number of other issues that I noticed do not contribute to what I think is an organized workflow but for now. I would recommend that if you feel you are absolutely committed to Mixcraft, at the very least if they do not offer an EQ with selectable multiband (at least 4 band), with, Q adjustment, high and low pass filters, and input and output gain controls. And a compressor with adjustments for attack , release, threshold , and makeup gain ...then find some 3 rd party plugin's that do

That said:

Like any endeavor consistency starts with organization.
If it is possible in Mixcraft
#1 set up one or more user defined templates for your session/project and always start with them. In those templates always have specific tracks organized in your preference of recording order, from left to right or in the case of mixcraft it appears to be limited to up and down and already routed . Have the EQ and compressor FX I mentioned above, already instantiated on your audio tracks and bypassed .
Have groups defined with group control selected.
Have group bus tracks defined and routed .
I appreciate the feedback! I should have also mentioned I have Ozone 7 and use it as a plug in and it has great EQ abilities, or at least seems to.

I also just bought the FL Studio DAW and hope to start working with it some soon too. Reaper never did it for me. I haven't tried anything else yet. Is there a different daw you would recommend that's user friendly but also good? I am hoping FL Studio meets this requirement. It consistently seems to get good reviews by users and music websites.