View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

A lot of good experienced advice already. So I will only add that it is often said the the only rule is there are not rules . But it is also said that there is no substitute for experience, both of which usually are true.

Sometimes the solution is as simple as a different set of strings or pic (if you use one) or as has already been said mic placement.

One thing to keep in mind is that when your on the journey of improving your recording sound, in order not to get caught and lost in the inexorable cyclone of innumerable variables that can and do effect the sound. For purposes of diagnosis try to eliminate as many variables as possible.
For example your OP is about mic'ing the guitar, but in the examples you linked, the sound included DI. Unfortunately that's of no help and in fact confuses the goal of determining any informed conclusion, about the difference mic'ed sound/s.

So what I am saying is the best procedure is to set up a standard repeatable overall situation where you eliminate variables . And are only changing one thing at a time, i.e. mic position ( in inches) or pic (if applicable) or position in room etc. etc. doing this will inform and make your acquiring experience more efficient.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4