Thread: Phil Keaggy
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 04:57 PM

Default Thanks...

Thank you to each of you responding to this thread. I am enjoying everything each of you are contributing...enlarges my knowledge base!!!

I had never heard of Phil Keaggy until a few days ago, and then I saw him at the Cup O' Joy coffeehouse last night....Well like I said earlier, I could not in my wildest dreams invision what or how he played. His Olsen is spectacular, as all Olsen's are, but in his hands it was phenomenal spectacular. All the tapping and looping he did to paint the canvas for his jamming.... was fantastic!

He was a terrific story teller as well, very humble, friendly, highly interactive with the audience, funny ---- and man --- could he jam. He started out with about a 10 minute jam on a blues tune called "Mercy" that was incredible in guitar style and tone. He played a song for an encore call "The Salvation Army Song" he played for about 12 minutes that completely blew me away.

I mean, I am just floored by what he could do, and so surprised- no matter what his spiritual take - that he is not a "star"....even if he doesn't want to be.

I've heard a lot of really good - great - guitar players in my 64 years, but this guy was the best...IMHO.

I mean - the dude can play.

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money...