View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Tru-oil. like any other varnish-type finish needs the wood to have a course enough surface texture to both soak in and have something to "grab" to adhere to the surface. If you sand too fine then the surface actually will self-seal and prevent the Tru-oil from soaking in an locking to the surface.

With Tru-oil you could go a bit finer and then apply your finish. Many coats are needed if you want a film build up with Tru-oil. THEN you use all those progressive grades of finer abrasive to form your final surface.

I gave up using Tru-oil a long time ago. It's easy, but way too time-consuming if you are going for a finish build. You could use a couple of coats to seal your neck, but if you're going to speed neck it you'll end up taking off most of what you put on.

You can see what I've recently done to in my latest build if you want to consider a different type of finish for your neck.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=578582
I envy your skill set! Thanks for your help, and for the story behind that beautiful guitar. I like the same things for the same reasons, but my skill set limits me to plunking down dollars for a used Taylor GC (which I do like).

What you say about Tru Oil needing a rougher surface makes sense and may be the reason my bare wood neck maker stopped at 200 grit. I've read lots of folks get a good result with 2-3 coats of Tru Oil, then smooth it out with some fine sandpaper, which I is what I understand you mean by just sealing the neck. You then refer to another path to a "speed neck," by which I understand you to mean "a neck on which you can play really fast." From your other post, I think you are referencing this product - https://www.onetreestudio.com.au/pages/osmo but please let me know if you mean another.

My goals for the neck are (1) it feels smooth to play with easy hand movements, and (2) it's sealed so it doesn't soak up skin oil and get ruined. My skill set is limited to "spray it from a can," or "rub it on with a cloth, buff excess and/or fine sand as needed." I am not a speed player kind of guy, by any means, but I do love the satin-smooth neck on my G&L. I notice it every time, just like I notice the "been too long since it was polished" sticky nitro neck on a Gibson. More G&L, less Gibson, please.

For my goals, do you recommend the Osmo product over the Tru Oil?