View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWelch View Post
I was planning on getting the P170, but I couldn't find a matched pair of them. I don't know if AKG just doesn't offer that in this model, maybe they want you to getting a higher model mic if your going to get matched pair? The sE7 was pretty much the same price, but came in a matched configuration. From what I can tell, they hopefully have similar quality sound, but I can't find as many reviews of the sE products. The sE7 does have a little better rating for noise than P170, but that probably doesn't matter a whole lot when you have any ambient noise t contend with, which is normally the case for me.
They used to sell matched sets, but discontinued them a few years back. I think that most people looking for matched sets are going to want something higher up the food chain. The 170s are a very good mic, especially if you are looking for high quality, consistent sound at a entry level price.

The web is full of after-market upgrade kits and services for less expensive mics. The owner of the "Recording Hacks" website started producing his own line of mics that are based on the upgraded capsules and electronic components. I have one of his Roswell Mini K47 mics and think it's really quite good if you're looking for a LDC that's reasonably priced and doesn't have the hyped high end that's part of the majority of Chinese LDC offerings.