View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigjtmp View Post
we made a DIY video detailing how to do it. Thoughts?

I know I shouldn't, but...

Having watched the video, I'm not quite clear who the intended audience is or what is the purpose of the video. Part of what I do for a living is to prepare technical training materials and teach people. The first rule of successful technical communication/training is to identify your intended audience and target the communication/training for that audience. The second rule it to identify the purpose of the communication/training and create a presentation that focuses on that purpose.

Who is the intended audience of the video? Those actually trying to do-it-yourself and replace the saddle in their guitars or those simply interested in an overview discussion of the process that would be used? If for the do-it-yourselfer, it's a little short on practical detail and a methodical "how-to" and long on "theory".

The format of the video is a lecture. It is not a "hands-on" demonstration of the methods and techniques used. That's fine, and lecture formats certainly have their time and place. But, it's a different animal than a video intended to show someone how to actually do something. So, it depends upon what your purpose is/was in making this video.

Suggesting that it can be done for $50 or less may be a little misleading. If one already has basic tools, and/or, one is only sanding the thickness of a saddle, that's true. If one has to also buy files, granite surfaces, digital callipers, string height gages/rulers, radius gages, a vice... not so much.

Lastly, in the digital age where nearly everyone has a camera/video recorder on their smart phone and tablet, and it has never been easier to share video in a variety of venues, there is an enormous amount of video available on many, many topics. Prior to making a new video, it may make sense to see what is already available on the topic. Is there any value in making another video on the same topic if yours offers repetition of what is already available and well-documented, or will your video target something unique or something currently unavailable? I suggest that there are already many videos (and websites) that provide good guidance to the potential do-it-yourselfer wanting to replace a saddle. After viewing some of those, ask yourself what your video adds to the existing offerings. (Sometimes, it's fun to make a video just for the sake of making it. In which case, that is it's purpose.)

I've avoided discussion of any technical content and focused solely on the presentation. You did ask for feedback: I've tried to keep it objective and constructive.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 08-10-2013 at 10:03 PM.