Thread: Amicus players
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcginnis View Post
Here is another - tuned in DADGAD which works well for open chords. And yes, it rings forever.
Mine arrived on Friday and I'm a full-time DADGAD player, Dave, so I've been toying with that and what string gauges I'll need to do what I think it's capable of being. I'd love to bring it down to GDGCGD (DADGAD version of A to A standard) which worked well on my 19.1" scale Papoose, but would be happy with AEADEA (from B to B standard).

On arrival I immediately tuned the "bass" D pair down to C and the two treble coursed down to G and C respectively (so CGCFGC). The 042 pair and the 011 and 085 courses are fine down a full step. They're also OK but a bit slack if it comes down to BF#BEF#B, another half step down from CGCFGC. but they're far too floppy down to AEADEA. The drop in tension for the inner 3 pairs of strings makes play a bit easier. They also do pretty well down another full step but could need slight up-gauging.

So, my next step, at the first string change, will be to up-gauge some strings, specifically the 2.5 step-down ones. I think I'll need a pair of 045 for the low A and 013 and 010 for the two high pairs. I'll likely also boost some of those inner strings (eg the 029 pair to 030, the 020 to 022 and the 015 to 016). Not a major gauge change in the grand scheme of things (but I may be happy I invested in those nut files!).

In the meantime, in between time, I'm enjoying playing it in B to B (DADGAD intervals, of course)...very intriguing sound with interesting possibilities!

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.