View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 03:29 PM

Jim, I am OK with normal weight bearing using the boot so I'm getting around the house just fine and not in any real pain. I had a knee scooter for foot surgery years ago and they are a real blessing for mobility. But not needed this time. The ankle isn't even swollen much today and no pretty colors happening. As I understood the doctor this morning, the ends of this tendon don't generally retract and shrivel up like torn muscles do, and will reconnect themselves over time without intervention, if I maintain a slightly extended foot position to keep them in proximity. Hence the boot to let the ends knit. We'll know more and whether surgical re-connection is warranted after an MRI next week and next Friday's doctor visit. But hey, the Olympics were cancelled anyway so my hopes of a medal in track & field were dashed months ago.

[For those here who have not met me, I'm an aging football lineman who is 6'-6" and 310 pounds. Any idea of me running track is laughable on many levels. The last time I ran any distance was 40 years ago and there was a platoon of Marines chasing me for "motivation"].

Either way it seems like four weeks in the boot after surgery, or eight weeks in the boot without surgery. The outcome should be about the same and positive, so I'll probably skip the risks of surgery. I will get to reconnect with my favorite physical therapist again. Nichole just discharged me from shoulder PT at the end of February.

I gave up karate 15 years ago because that tendon was always sore (like my now replaced knees) so it was really only a matter of time before it let go completely. Cortisone shots helped the pain at times back then, but I knew the tissue was being damaged. I guess last night was my time. I did not do anything that had not already occurred dozens of times that day, including a mile walk, 45 minutes of tai chi practice, and going up stairs. I was getting 4000-9000 steps per day lately.

Hugs back. Buddy the Lawn Puma says "meow" to Cousin Rufus.