View Single Post
Old 07-31-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Though they are legendary speakers deserving their reputations for accurate sound, given the fact that in the opening post Prizen mentions preferring the sound of his existing system with the loudness circuit engaged and that accuracy isn’t important, I think it unlikely that he would like the neutral sound of the AR-3a, Advent Loudspeaker or the previously mentioned Rectilinear III speakers especially with only 45 watts available to drive them.
The old Advents were popular in the days when almost everyone used a receiver with the loudness button engaged.

Audiophiles have fits when anyone mentions the use of this function.

I've owned and listened to many speakers (as I'm sure most old timers here have as well) and the old Advents are very good at reproducing "colored" sound with the loudness feature engaged so I'm puzzled by your post.

Neutral sound would be listening to them "without" the use of the loudness feature that basically mimics the "Smiley face EQ curve".

I am obviously recommending them because I have experience with them, notice I didn't recommend the big Harbeth M40 or B&W 803 that I also own. Those are out of his budget.

We all have our own preferences, same with guitars. The popularity of the old original Advents and Henry Kloss designs have gained respect for their performance and enjoyment they brought to more than a few music lovers over the past 50 odd years.
If the OP lived anywhere near me, he could pay a visit and listen for himself.