View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 03:49 AM

Default Suggestions/Help for selecting the right gear for Logic home studio

I've been using an ancient Pro Tools LE (rel 5.1) on a mac G4 running OS9 since 2002. I literally have to pray every time I boot it up that the thing will work. Sometimes I have to reboot a half dozen times to get the CD drawer to open. Needless to say, i have a bit of angst about investing a great deal of time recording projects on this relic, as I'm unsure as to how much longer it will function.

I've spent 99% what time and energy I've had over the years for music on playing guitar, and about 1% on recording the guitar. I know how much I don't know.

I've been blessed to have the funds ($5k) to upgrade my studio. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Logic this time. I already have a good monitor, monitor speakers, mics, etc. What I need to get is Logic, a new computer, and an interface.

I'm thinking of a Mac Pro. I don't have an isolation room and it will be in the same room in which I'll be recording acoustic guitar. Are the MacPros quieter than the old G4s? I get a lot of fan noise when I run the G4? Would a MacBook Pro work OK? Does it have enough horse power for recording? Would it be any quieter?

Is Logic 9 the release to get? Or is it still new and somewhat buggy?

What interface would you suggest? I'm fine with a software mixer - don't need an actual board with sliders on it.

Anything else needed?

Any words of wisdom from you subject matter experts would be greatly appreciated!