View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 09:11 AM

It will pick up the sound of you slapping the body but because its a close mic it will sound very dry. You also need to really clout the guitar to get anywhere close to the kind of loud percussion you get from mixing in an SBT. And even then it lacks bass unless you shove the mic right into the soundhole (which presents different problems).

As for the mic/sbt phase thing. You can still run into phase problems by virtue of the fact that you are stacking two similar sounding tracks on top of each other that are delayed slightly. The greater the distance of the mic from the sound source, the greater the delay.

Polarity is not the same thing as phase so I hope that bit wasn't confusing when I wrote it above (theres a good explanation of the difference here). You measure phase in degrees for periodic signals but we aren't dealing with periodicity so we use fractions of a second to measure the offset.

It doesn't make any sense to me when you say hard pan 2 SDCs left and right and leave a pickup in the middle. In a stereo pair there is no such thing (although you can create the illusion that something sounds center).