View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

One can extoll the virtues of a carbon fiber guitar, but unless someone is open to it, the message won't get through.

Years ago, when I first heard of carbon fiber being used to make a guitar, I completely dismissed it. An acquaintance (an engineer) worked for a CF guitar maker for a short time; knowing I was a long-time player, he asked if I had any interest.

Um, no thanks.

Last year, I poked my head in on this forum. You know, just to see what people were saying about CF. Some of the "odd shapes and sound holes in the 'wrong' place" images made me think "gimmick". Now, I am probably not as much of a traditionalist as many players - I owned an Ovation for 14 years... and, I liked it. Oh, it wasn't comfortable on my lap, but for this old rock 'n roller, it played nice, was great for traveling, and sounded fine plugged in when playing out. Yeah, maybe that Ovation "opened the door" for me.

The Rainsong Shorty that I bought this summer is probably considered pretty traditional by some CF standards... if you compare the size/shape specs on it, it is VERY close to a Taylor GC 12-fret. It may have been a leap of faith when I ordered the Shorty... but, it was not a BIG leap.

Now that I've had plenty of time with the Rainsong, I totally get the appeal. The shimmery finishes and different shapes and sound hole locations make more sense. Less "Dr. Seuss" and more "Oh, I get that." BUT, it is the sound and how the guitar plays that makes it a keeper.

I don't feel like I am a "convert," but I do have a much more open mind. When I consider the next guitar, there are more options!

Captain Jim

(Oh, sure, they offer the Black Ice type top on a Shorty after I bought mine!) I really like the look, feel, and sound of my carbon fiber guitar... but I like my wood ones, too. Maybe it would be better to just say, "I like my guitars!"

Last edited by Captain Jim; 12-15-2013 at 07:25 PM.