View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 10:55 AM

Other than my own recordings, which is what I'm really listening too most hours, most days, these days, this stuff this week:

Husker Du. The new collection of early recordings and demos "Savage Young Du". For a band that became a model for a lot of later 20th Century hard core punk, they still sound unique to me.

Gabor Szabo. Had a moment in the Sixties, now pretty much forgotten. Just one of those things that I felt I had to listen to again after posting on a thread here about making an acoustic stand in for an electric guitar. I think most of his stuff is a DeArmond sound-hole pickup in a Martin dread. Some of the arrangements are full of Sixties cheese like the later Wes Montgomery records, and the faux raga/eastern European scale thing dates it, but I happen to like the faux raga/eastern European scale thing. For a sample with a familiar riff to Santana fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3--HVjDk7s

Steve Tibbetts "Yr". Just a perfect album. Mixes acoustic and electric perfectly. Self-engineered but flawlessly to my dumb ears.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....