View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I appreciate what Jon posted.

I find that music elicits different feelings based on rhythms. A good rhythm player can get people feeling things in their body which as your move with the music can bring up emotions in the heart. I find that some players who are technically proficient can lack groove - that rhythmic thing that pulls people in and engages them with the energetic feel of the music.

As a singer who also performs a bit, I agree that performance is something that needs to be practiced. Where to let the emotion of the music come through and when to pull back a bit so it doesn't overwhelm. It is about the song - not about me. If I can stay connected to the song and the audience - that seems to be the sweet spot.

Best,
Jayne
I participated in an interesting workshop earlier this year, where we were encouraged to bring songs that were challenging us to perform.

My song challenge is an Alison Kraus song that makes my eyes leak and my voice choke up , every time I try to sing it.

So, the workshop leader has me up on the stage, starting the song and stopping me when the leak/choke starts - must be three times in a row I get started and stop.

Two significant suggestions turned the corner and allowed me after a few more tries to move ahead and get through an entire verse dry-eyed and smooth voiced:
1: focus on an imaginary person in the audience.
2: use the song to tell the imaginary person the story (instead of internalizing the story and in effect telling it to myself)

I do hear a story in all the songs I choose to sing, and I also notice that the sad stories typically mirror a sad experience of my own. So, I guess it's some emotional baggage that gets in the way of performing without leaks or chokes.

that's all I got!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE