View Single Post
Old 08-10-2021, 06:10 PM

The D6-58 is certainly more powerful than the S1 and can certainly handle any room that the S1 can handle. I'm a former sound guy (who retired because of significant hearing loss) so I tend to go overboard with sound gear.

What the S1 has going for it is three high frequency drivers pointed left right and center, so it does a nice horizontal spread with a diminished vertical spread. I think it has a little more throw at low volumes.

I just got the Sub1 and Bose pole, so I have only tried it at home, but it definitely has the wow factor of an L1 system. It puts out that thumping bass that the S1 Pro alone cannot touch.

Really, the assignment of the D6-58 for my own monitoring has more to do with being able to reach the mixer controls. Also, while both the D6-58 and the S1 sound very good, the D6-58 is a little better, and why shouldn't I hear it for myself?

Another thing for me personally is that my wife does fundraising events that have nothing to do with music, and I love the S1 for that. I use it with a couple Fifine wireless mics that I would never sing through, but which sound absolutely fine for speech. I would hate to have to use my beautiful wood D6-58 for general AV. So I really need the S1 even if I stopped using it for live music otherwise I might be more tempted to use just the D6-58.

Also, having separate speaker systems for me and the audience lets me keep my own personal SPL levels a little softer. I like to keep the volume for my own monitor low enough that I am not further damaging my hearing.

When I used the full L1 system, I was often hearing it way louder than I would have liked. Usually I didn't have the stage space to put the tower the 8 feet or so back from me that it takes to get a nice stage sound

With the D6-58 pointed at me on the side of my good ear, and the S1 (and Sub1 if I need it) in front of me, I am hearing a much softer, less reverberant, clearer sound than I would be if I was sharing the speaker with the audience. With my hearing loss, that has become important.