View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 06:35 PM

Default Skysonic Wireless Guitar Pickup

I sent a list of questions to the moderator of their Facebook web page. I asked a bunch of questions including yours.

The sound I am getting is like what you hear on the Thai YouTube review I posted earlier. I haven’t heard the Mag Mic or the Fishman Rare Earth Blend, but I imagine it is a similar sound to those products. It is very good.

The pickup and mic are controlled with separate volume controls. The mic doesn’t go nearly as loud as the magnetic pickup. I’m pretty happy with them both all the way up. To get more mic than that you would have to scale the magnetic pickup sound back.

I did end up adjusting the pole pieces a bit. I certainly prefer the sound of this to my LR Baggs M80, but that is a taste thing.

There is a button labeled “catch” that I believe increments channels. That is one of the questions I asked through Facebook Messenger.

One negative is that both the receiver instantly turn on when you press the power button on the receiver or the standby button on the pickup. Turning it off requires a three second push. This is fine on the pickup, but on the receiver it is likely that the button might be accidentally touched in transit if it is loosely packed. This would turn it on, and it would stay on because it would need a three second push to turn it off. I can easily imagine getting to a gig only to find the receiver was turned on and the battery is drained. If you hadn’t purchased and installed an end pin audio cable assembly, you would be out of luck trying to play a gig in this likely scenario. You would have to use a mic on the guitar. It would be much better if turning on required a 3 second press as well.

I found a little portable hard drive case with an elastic strap in it which is designed to keep the hard drive in place. This is a good fit for the reciever and will keep the power button safe from accidental presses when I transport it.