View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 02:05 PM

I really like "Flatpicking Essentials." I recommend the first three books all the time. I looked at a few of Ryan's videos. Strictly from the previews, it seems like good, solid instruction. In particular, I think this format (video/audio with tabs) works well for highly visual learners. You can see right where he puts his fingers. It doesn't seem like the most cost-effective way to learn.

The thing that separates "Flatpicking Essentials" is that it is system designed not just to teach tunes, but to build musicianship. Once you reach an intermediate level, I think learning tunes is the best way to improve your musicianship. Have you ever met anyone who knows 200 tunes who can't play?

But I think there needs to be a foundation of good musicianship built before you begin to build your repertoire. Things like solid rhythm and ear training tend to be overlooked by musicians who just begin by learning tunes.

If you already have that solid foundation, you could jump right in and begin learning tunes. But for someone who is just beginning, there are fundamentals that must be built.

Artistworks Flatpicking Bluegrass School with Bryan Sutton has a similar structure (beginner through at least intermediate levels).