View Single Post
Old 07-09-2021, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjheff View Post
Hi Ken—

Thanks for the thoughtful reply! Do you find that these banjos — due to their different constructions — lend themselves to specific applications, accept alternate tunings, or handle certain material more successfully? How do you rotate your instruments or choose the right tool for the job?

Best,
Patrick
Hi Patrick.

Firstly, I'm only a lower-level, intermediate clawhammer player, and not an authority on banjos. Secondly, I really don't place my banjos into best-usage categories, except the Deering Sierra as its tone ring and resonator suit it well to Bluegrass. Being OCD--and proud of it!--the reason I have the banjos in my stable is that I wanted quality banjos with different styles of tone rings.

I don't know if you know the following but here goes, anyway. So, what does a tone ring do for a banjo's tone? For me, a tone ring can add more clarity and more volume to a banjo's tone over a plain wooden rim. In my experience, aside from a Dobson tone ring which does seem to add some audible metallic after tones, tone rings don't seem to "ring" as their brass or bell-brass construction might lead someone to believe. What they do is support the banjo's head and modify the transfer of vibration back and forth between the head and the rim which, as mentioned, can result in more tonal clarity and volume. What I find alters the tone more than most tone rings is the diameter of the banjo head and the scale length of the strings.

Now, let's talk about Bluegrass banjos and tone rings. My Deering Sierra has a Deering-06-20 flathead-style tone ring, The flathead style is the most used style tone ring in Bluegrass. The diameter of the flat-head tone ring is about the same diameter as the banjo's head/rim. Think Earl Scruggs and his Gibson flatheads. The other well-known style of Bluegrass tone ring is the arch-top tone ring which has a lower diameter the size of a banjo's head/rim but has a smaller-diameter upper ring that mainly supports the banjo's head. The archtop tone ring gives the banjo a piercing tone that cuts very well in a Bluegrass setting. Think Ralph Stanley and his Gibson archtops. Bluegrass tone tings are the heaviest tone rings, and frankly, that's why I hardly ever play my Deering Sierra Flathead as the tone ring, flange, and resonator add quite a bit of weight making this banjo weigh-in at over 11 lbs and uncomfortable in the lap when sitting. If I ever get into Bluegrass, though, I'm all set!

I invite other players to add to or correct any information I've provided in this comment.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-09-2021 at 10:04 AM.