View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I play both a guitar with a nut width of 1 and 11/16th and a couple with 1 and 3/4th. I can pretty much go back and forth between these with no problem but they feel very different due to one being a 14 fret and the other being a 12 fret as well as one being 2 and 1/8th at the saddle and the other 2 and 1/4th. They both have the same scale length (25.4) and neck shape. I find the smaller spacing at the saddle more problematic that the smaller nut width. I agree that all these little measurements can make an enormous difference to some of us.

A custom guitar that I currently have on order will have a 25" scale, 14 fret with 1 and 23/32nds at the nut and 2 and 1/4th at the saddle. So it will be different but in the range that I can easily adapt to. I enjoyed talking with the luthier about the various choices and what the compromises might be given the sound and feel that I was looking for. I even knew someone who ordered a guitar with a 1 and 47/64th nut width - now that is what I call really dialing in.

Best,
Jayne