View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 05:36 PM

I used it years ago. 100% of what I used it on came apart as soon as the summer temperatures and humidity hit. (I live in Southwest Ontario, Canada, not tropical.) I used a few different bottles, so it wasn't isolated to a single "bad" or old bottle. At about the same time, other instrument makers had similar results, prompting one maker to send a letter to the editor of Fine Woodworking, asking what could be done about his guitar that was made with Franklin (Titebond) Liquid Hide Glue that was coming apart at the seems.

The damage due to failed glue joints was so extensive to my instruments, that I won't even consider using it. I spoke with a Sales representative from Franklin last year at a woodworking event and he stated that their liquid hide glue had recently been "reformulated". I'm not willing to try it on anything that matters.

Some have had no issues with Franklin's Liquid Hide Glue while others have had experiences similar to mine. Try it if you like, but be aware of the possibility of catastrophic failure. I can think of no reason to recommend its use in any aspect of guitar making when there are so many other reliable alternatives.

That said, I have used Old Brown Glue liquid hide glue without incident. I've also used fish glue without incident. A potential downside to both hide glue and fish glues are their longer clamping times.