View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
The problem as I see it is that the feel of a pick depends on more than simply hardness or thickness. Young’s modulus, or elasticity, comes into it, as does flexibility. Good luck, but I think you got a tough job here.
Another example I can think of is that the materials used by different makers, even if labelled as the same material, potentially have different hardness. For example, I'm a fan of heavy gauge Herdim picks; they're nylon and 1.14mm, but are much softer and more flexible than Nylon picks from other makers (for reference, the feel is most similar to something like a Dunlop nylon .73). I haven't personally done any experimentation, but I could also see something similar happening with the various types of pick that are fundamentally Acetal/Delrin and sold differently.

Similarly, shape would have something to do with felt hardness, or at least how rigid something feels. A larger pick will have more "flop" to it than something smaller. To bring up the Herdims again, they're very slightly larger than the "standard" pick size, which I'm sure is a part of that flexibility; similarly Jazz III-type tortex picks feel much stiffer than the standard version.