View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Forget the patterns. Don't think in patterns. I don't "know" a single pattern, yet I play finger style. (Tunes in my signature).

Just play the notes/tab positions and concentrate on the flow of the music. Its ok to go in slow motion (like paint drying slow) to learn something. Going too fast, too soon, is the big no-no.
I'm so happy to hear you say this. I'm self taught, very isolated from others who play acoustic guitars with steel strings, started VERY late, and after seven years I finger pick everything by ear. My ex Mexican girl friend (who had played guitar for more than 30 years) wanted me to explain my style and I couldn't -- because my ear and hands work faster than my brain. She finally made a video of me playing a simple song, and then slowed it down. In fact, when I stop in the middle of a piece, I have a hard time picking up where I left off -- because I can't think it through. It just flows if I don't stop. And it is always changing as I hear something pleasing and want to repeat it.

I will see something on YouTube that a guitarist is doing with his left hand. If I can master that, the finger picking just comes -- with the alternating base supplying the rhythm, and my fingers and ears searching for the melody in the same time.

By far and away my great limitation is my left hand work on the neck. Is that common with most guitarists?