View Single Post
Old 09-17-2022, 07:16 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
So very interesting how one mic can work so well in one area and not work in another.
Despite hype to the contrary in sales literature, that is the way all mics are. We've got over two hundred mics in the mic closet and I've used most of them. They all have a purpose and have hidden talents as well.
Quote:
How far away was the mic placed from the guitar? And I assume it was in Cardiod?
The mics were both about ten inches away, aimed at the joint between neck and body, and yes, both were in cardioid mode. The Lauten was in forward character mode. We also used the Lauten mic for the female soprano vocalista where it shown, wonderfully. We started the vocal process auditioning our Neumann U-47 and Neuman TLM-170, and the Lauten, side by side. I compared the three and frankly would have been happy with any one of them. My partner wanted to use his Lauten. I've been at this long enough that my ego is beginning to moderate. Why not let him use it?
Quote:
I have heard so many people speak so highly of the Eden. Our very own AGF member, Sasquatchian, has two of them I believe.

What makes this your partner's favorite mic?
Well, it is similar to the U-47 but it offers more features and doesn't require a mortgage to purchase. To be honest, I suspect that there is also a certain amount of the old, "I just personally spent a mint on this mic and I'm in love with it," thing. I'm the old crusty guy who has used so many mics in so many applications that he feels like there are few or no bad mics... just bad applications of mics. I've used large and small diaphragm condensers on the "guitar in a combo" scenario and I just seem to land on the small ones more often. I think the AKFG was just a better mic for this particular guitar and application. I'm not speaking ill of the Lauten at all. It's a lovely mic.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)