View Single Post
Old 11-02-2020, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Circa (John Slobod) 00 - A Build Thread

If you wake me up out of a dead sleep and ask me “Quick! Who is your favorite guitar builder??” I’m certain I’ll reply without hesitation - “John Slobod of Circa Guitars in Portland Maine”. As of now, I’ve played about 1/4 of his entire output. How? Well, it was strange balance of intent and being in the right places at the right times. Over the past 8 years or so I’ve really put myself in the way of them. Dealers, friends, festivals and everything in between.

When you play that number of guitars from any marker you start to notice some pretty strong themes. Obviously John’s guitars are just freakishly well executed. I always say if you’re impressed by the fit and finish of a Collings, close examination of a Circa will startle you. John’s lines are as clean as they come, the way the purfling meets and disappears (good luck finding the glue joint!), his bridges, volutes, arched slot-head walls, the whole package. It’s so elegant and subtle; the inside of the box is a complete and utter marvel!

The thing about John’s work that has impressed me most is how versatile and consistent he is when voicing his guitars. I’ve played guitars of his that respond to a light touch like a high-end cedar-topped classical. Others that seem to have unlimited headroom and more projection than what should be possible in an un-amplified steel string. I've played large rosewood guitars of his with the EQ balance of great mahogany OMs and parlor sized Circas with dread-level bass response and expansiveness. The thing all of his guitars seem to share, though, is a well-placed fundamental and the greatest midrange frequencies known to mankind.

We’re doing a 00 in German/Maple, braced in John’s vintage style with a low X, some scallop and fairly light overall build. He voiced a lot of 00s that way earlier in his career (still does, of course) and I’ve found those tend to work best for the way I like to play guitars this small. Cosmetically, I’m sorta going for the combination of Al Petteway’s two Circa 12-fretters - his 00 and the 000c. This is actually the first Circa I’ve done to my specifications. I just checked my records and this build has been pending for SEVEN YEARS. Good news, though - you’ll be hearing the finished guitar in 2 months or so!

And now, some pics!

Here’s what I requested -

And here it is on the shelf! (I was informed later that there IS one more maple guitar in this batch) -

Last edited by usb_chord; 11-02-2020 at 09:18 AM.