View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 07:15 PM

I change my own strings, do my own setups (including turning the truss rod), can level frets (have a homebuilt version of the Erlewine neck jig made the a 4X4, a large piece of 1" marine plywood, for the body, a couple nylon straps to keep the body and head stock in position with All-Thread with rubber caps on the ends in place of the jacks to maintain the position of the neck once the strings are taken off), crown and polish frets, roll fret ends, change tuners, change saddles and nuts (as long as someone else had cut them) and can install a UST (shaving the bottom of the saddle flat and square).

Also reasonably competent shooting poly with a Preval unit or rattle cans. Haven't made the leap to a HVLP gravity feed gun with compressor yet. And once I do, might give nitro a shot (see what I did there?).

But carving bracings, cutting kerflings, shaping neck heels and volutes is beyond me right now. Going to build some kits someday (want to start with a violin, ukulele, dread and a banjo guitar/banjitar/trashcan/6 string banjo).