View Single Post
Old 06-29-2019, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
I've been thinking about this myself but I'm afraid I'd develop "bad habits". I've learned a few useful things from my teacher such as forming the chords from the "top" or practicing one piece at a time instead of going through the whole song at once.

But I think I may stop seeing him soon. That would test my commitment. I can then meet with an instructor from time to time to know better how I'm doing.
Rez, you and I are on a similar path, and so I get your dilemma. Sixty-three and bought my first guitar in February. Like you, I am no stranger to music, though in my case, I am a jazz woodwinds player - sax and clarinet. Last year, I started writing some tunes after playing with a bunch of local musicians - they on strings, and me on the misery stick (aka clarinet). I figured that learning the guitar was a way to enhance my song writing, and it has been.
Like you, I naturally embraced the idea of getting a teacher. I have been working with a well-regarded instructor for two months now. But I am a bit ambivalent about our work together. Also like you, I was looking for a "roadmap," a progression of skill sets that would give me the technical and artistic introduction to the guitar. But it has not turned out that way. The instructor immediately got into theory/chord structure, before even discussing how to hold the guitar or a pick or how to learn the fret board. It all left me a bit hollow, frustrated and uninspired. So I figured I had to take over the direction of the lessons so that I could learn to play in the context of songs I have written and am working on. This has proved much more successful and satisfying. I bring a tune in, play it, and we work on chord or fingering alternatives, or progressions. Last week, I asked him for a lesson on strumming technique, all in the context of working on one of my songs.
So, I am going to continue with the lessons, for the time being. But I am also supplementing them with online instruction of which there is no shortage, for the more mechanical stuff. Perhaps this will prove to be the best combination. Learn what you can online, and do more customized work with the instructor.
The best lesson I have learned over the past two months is to take charge of the process to get the most out of it. Find that direction for you, and you may find the experience with the instructor more fulfilling. He (or she) may be waiting to have that very conversation with you.
Happy trails, mate.
David