View Single Post
Old 02-23-2020, 12:10 AM

Default Apollo Twin X - Insert Outboard Effects

I am now using the Apollo Twin X as my interface between my MacBook Pro and outboard Preamps and Converters. Initially I was feeling very uneasy, unsure whether or not I'd be able to insert my Lexicon PCM92 outboard effects into my recordings. I don't consider myself very good at all the configuration needed to pull this off on my own, and it can be quite frustrating and intimidating. However, I did a search on Universal Audio's website and found instructions on how to set it up. To my surprise, it worked! And, with what little experience I do have, I was able to figure out how to set all the proper levels for the inputs and outputs, etc., and it is quite nice to take a raw set of tracks and print a stereo track with the added effects, then bounce it out as a .wav and .mp3.

Here is an example of what it sounds like with default Medium Hall Reverb with 30% wet effects applied:

Recording with Effects

I just prefer my Lexicon PCM92 effects. The software effects in Logic just don't seem to have quite the same richness and depth.

As frustrating as it can often be at first, the end result can be very satisfying!

Also, the Apollo Twin X is very nice as a stand-alone interface without the outboard gear. I was surprised how easy it was to get used to navigating the controls. It is a small device, but heavy and built like a tank.

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 02-23-2020 at 01:02 AM.