View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

I have always used Martin 12-54 SP PB 7100s on my Martin 000-18. And I have liked those strings just fine. But currently I have a set of the Santa Cruz low tension on the guitar.

At first, I set them to standard tuning. Immediately after stringing, I noted two things. First, they lacked the brightness of the 7100s. The trebles were not dark and muddy - they were clear and even, but the sparkle was not there. Second, I noticed that there was an evenness of responsiveness and tone across the strings. I've continued to recognize that and find it impressive. I don't have a problem with the trebles, but the sparkle remains absent.

I play flesh and nail fingerstyle and enjoy how these play and sound.

I'm experimenting with tuning down a half step. Not sure I like this as well but it hasn't been long enough.

I've also been learning to use a thumb pick - Fred Kelly D2-L-8 (love these!) and like how the bass is strong with a light touch with the Santa Cruz low tension strings, and I am able to keep the strings I touch with fingers and with thumb pick producing similar volume with some care.

They have been on my guitar for about a month and I don't notice any change in how good they sound. Regardless, in a week or two, I'll replace them with the Martin 7100s and see what I gain and what I lose.