View Single Post
Old 07-28-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I've played through a couple Acoustasonic's for gigs, tested out the various Roland's, test drove a Bose S1 and played a few gigs through an older Fender Passport PA.

I ended up ordering a Carvin AG300 based on advice here on the internet a few years back.

It is a feature packed, fabulous sounding acoustic amp with plenty of power for any indoor or outdoor venues in my area. Sounded better than anything else I had tried out. It's essentially a three channel powered speaker.

The only issue I've had, and I've found maybe 3 other people who also had this, was an infrequent hiss that would cut out the instrument/vocals. It would happen only outdoors, when hot, after playing for over a couple hours. I sent it back to Carvin and they said they fixed it, but couldn't tell me exactly what the cause was.

Carvin doesn't make the AG amps anymore. The features I like best on it are:

1. Three separate input channels, each with its own FX - reverb, chorus, delay
2. Two of the channels can select a high impedance input setting, meaning a preamp/DI isn't needed with passive piezoelectric pickups.
3. 48 volt phantom power for condenser mic or external pedals.
4. Can be mounted on a speaker stand.
5. Both XLR and separate 1/4" inputs on two of the channels. Although not ideal (unless you want the exact same volume and effects setting for your mic and instrument) you can use both simultaneously.
5. Can plug in any passive 8 ohm speaker as an extension cabinet.
6. Line out to send to a board or PA
7. Full spectrum output with a 3 way speaker. Can be used for any instrument from bass to fiddle plus vocals.
8. 250 watt rated output, 300 watt with an extension cabinet.
9. Aux input for backing tracks, between sets music, etc.
10. USB connection for charging phone, iPod, etc.
11. Cost was under $1k - I got mine new for around $600.

Biggest drawback is the weight, about 30 lbs. Less than the Acoustasonic's I tried, but more than the Bose or Roland's. Better sounding and better features than those though.
I'll second everything Mandobart said re: the Carvin AG300. I got mine in 2018 (the last year it was made), and have never had a bit of trouble with it. The sound quality for instruments and vocals, the features and flexibility are fabulous - this would have been a bargain at twice the price (anything new today that can match it would be). If you come across a used one in good shape, grab it, but they don't show up for sale very often.

Last edited by pcs264; 07-29-2021 at 04:39 AM.