View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
I tend to think this is so true. The reality it that Yamaha, particularly in the upper echelon of their range, makes some of the finest guitars on the planet. Their custom shop stuff will rival or exceed most things out there, yet a large segment of the guitar population simply cannot get their head around the idea of purchasing a Yamaha once you get to a certain level of price...which is silly when you really think about it...

Comments like, "At that price I might as well buy a Martin or X Y Z instead". Why would one say this? I personally get a large kick out of such statements. If a product is good it is good, if a product is great it is great (regardless of the name on the headstock). In reality these kinds of comments do not apply if you are talking about quality and performance in guitars at the end of the day. The guitar world definitely does seem to have a bit of snootiness going on...Certainly my impression in reading on different forums around the web...I personally find it quite comical...I'm not a brand w***e myself...lol

Having said this, I will probably venture into Taylors, Martins, Boucher, etc...At some point...It's all good...
I’m a Yamaha fan but I’ve found the size of the soundbox going up the food chain not to my liking - I can live with 15” across the lower bout but not 4 3/4” deep at the endpin, for example on a LS-26. If anything, I’m heading in the direction of 14.25” or so across the lower bout and no more than 4 1/8” depth (00-28). Martin was there in the 1930s staking out these dimensions and any manufacturer copying these measurements and brace positions isn’t being original.

* Note to Yamaha: give us a 00 equivalent size all solid wood model with full 25.5” scale and it will blow the competition in this category out of the water

Last edited by Jaden; 08-09-2019 at 12:38 PM.