View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
So what prompted this is I took delivery on Thursday of a new Sebatron Axis 200 preamp that I purchased from Soundpure as a demo unit.

I connected it to my DAW (Reaper) via my Scarlett 2i4 interface as follows:

1. XLR mic cables from two SDC's (KM184's) to Axis XLR inputs.
2. XLR mic cables from Axis XLR outputs to Scarlett XLR inputs, Scarlett mic gain controls set to 0, Scarlett phantom power off, Scarlett Line/Inst switch set to Line.
3. Scarlett USB feed to PC and DAW setup with two tracks (Channel 1 and 2 on both the Scarlett and Axis).

When I power the Axis up, for each channel the Pad/Gain control knob is set to -15dB (full counterclockwise to the left), Output Level control knob is set to 0, HPF is off, phantom mic power is off. When I turn the phantom power on for each mic channel and turn the Output Level knob to the right, there is no activity on the Axis VU meters and no activity on the track level indicators in the DAW.

Using same XLR cables from mics to the Axis, if I take the Axis out and go straight to the Scarlett and use it's preamps, everything works fine.

I wonder if the Axis is DOA. I'll be in touch with Soundpure first thing on Monday.
Hi Bob,

I know nothing about the Axis or the Scarlett 2i4 interface, but the two parts above where I added bold text are areas that may have an effect.

Having the input on your Scarlett all the way down at 0 may not be letting any signal through at all. You might try turning the level on the Scarlet up a little, maybe to 9 o'clock to see if any signal comes through.

Also, on the Axis, if the input level is at -15 dB, you will probably have to turn that up some, I would suggest perhaps 12 o'clock to get signal into your mic preamp.

I could be all wet here, but it seems like no signal could get to your preamp and even if there were, no signal can get through the Scarlet at your current settings.

As Derek pointed out, until signal flows through the preamp, you may not see any movement of the Axis meters.

These different settings might be worth a try... If you do start to get a signal through your preamp and interface into your DAW, then I would turn the input level on the Scarlett down as much as you can to minimize input noise on that preamp. However, you may not be able to go much below 9 o'clock.

With my preamps, my input level on each channel is at about 12 o'clock, my output level is at about 3 o'clock; on my interface the input level is at about 9 o'clock for each channel.

Thanks, Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 06-19-2021 at 11:41 PM.