View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Silly Moustache was a real, accomplished drummer at one time. I am not him, obviously, but I am guessing that he means that programmed drums run at exactly one speed. A real drummer can adjust to everyone else. If the band's adrenaline is up, as it usually is during a performance, a real drummer can make adjustments to the increased tempo that often results from an amped-up performance.

I am just guessing based on my own experience. Maybe Silly Moustache will see this and respond.

- Glenn
Hard to tell what Silly meant I took it as tongue in cheek irony, meaning "slows down" might be a complaint about a real drummer ???

But to clarify a bit the notion that
Quote:
programmed drums run at exactly one speed".
is actually only correct if one intentionally (locks the midi notes to the grid). On actual "programed drums" .

And perhaps to back up a bit further first we should probably define what is meant by the terms " Electric " drums and "Programed" as well

Because right off the bat, the term "Electric drums " is a misnomer.

There are "Electronic" drums which are a physical drum kit, played by a human drummer and timing wise are no different than a regular drum kit.

There are/were Drum machines both physical boxes, first analog and then digital.
That were locked tempo.

There are now digital virtual instrument drum kits and drum machines, that can be locked to the grid--OR--can be programed to vary in timing or be physically played in via a midi keyboard or pad , and can be as varied in time as any drummer paying a physical drum kit ---- from pretty good, to truly awful---more often than not my playing in via keyboard falls into the latter case

And finally (not to anyone in particular) the answer to the OP was and still is "IT DEPENDS" and is totally and only based on what you the producer/performer/songwriter are trying to accomplish, and what YOU feel best serves the song. I am sorry but glittering generalities one way or the other ( while perfectly fine for stating personal preferrence) , are simply insufficient to rise to level of "informing" artistic choice.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-14-2019 at 07:59 AM.