View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Yes.
We have had a long tradition of "Folk Clubs" in the UK, usually held in the function room of pubs, or small church or village halls, and sometimes in "Scouts" or Guide" huts.

Amplification is vary rarely used, and there was/is a principle called "ARTS" i.e "A Right To Silence".

They tend to fall into two categories - either a circle with each taking a turn, or not, or a performing stage, or corner, or area, where each performer goes to perform to a seated audience.

The problem (for me at least) is that there are also two types of ethos, some readily accept American folk, country and blues etc., but others being very "traditional" and in extremis, accepting only traditional British folk songs, often un-accompanied.

When I started out as a solo performer in '93 after a long hiatus, I was singing/playing American contemporary material, and I was frequently told however well I went down with the audiences, they wouldn't book me as I "wasn't real folk".

Later, I was asked to open up my own folk club in a local pub, sponsored by a local music shop. I agreed on condition that it was called an "Acoustic Music Club" and that it how it has been run to this day ... welcoming beginners and professionals, playing any sort of genre, but not plugging in.

A fair few clubs have followed my lead.