View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cim Frode View Post
…What should I do? Buy a Quantum blender? Or can I mod the Solstice? Dieter said that some customers blew their mics with the Solstice, is that really true?

// Cim
Hi Cim

Doug Young from here in the forum has used some other internal microphone choices from AKG. I'll bet he could advise you on them if you shoot him a note. His website is dougyoungguitar dot com. His email starts with doug…at-sign to the front of the site name.

He posted detailed instructions as to how to wire the AKG mics here in the group (or linked to them) and was buying the mics on ebay for as little as $60 if I recall.

I am dismayed that K&K has resorted to this extreme marketing scheme (in my opinion) to get people to buy their overpriced/under-featured preamps.

I have K&K dual source pickup rigs in 4 acoustics, and used to recommend them to everyone who asked about upgrading their pickups. I no longer make that recommendation.

I know a lot of players with a dual source K&K rig who use DTAR or Raven PMB I/II preamps, and have never heard of anyone blowing a mic. I've even run mine with EDB-I which was 18volts for about a year without incident.

Another option would be to buy a used K&K dual-source rig from someone who has removed one from a guitar and just use the mic from that.

And yet another - buy a used Raven PMB-I or PMB-II (their phantom is 9 volts).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…