View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Fabulous, baby. Simply fabulous !

Still got that vocal a little low. You take the instruments down when the vocal comes in, but when it's instrumental time you crank them back up. Find a level for the instruments and leave them there. Maybe bring up one instrument that is playing something special but leave the rest alone.

The vocal is very good. Great casual feeling. I love it, but it's still a little low. You step back the instruments when the singing starts. That's probably the level the instruments should be at all along. But tweak up the vocals.

Oooh. The song is running too long, now. Save the 6 minute version for your triumphal concert tour. A quick instrumental and out is what you need. (Or a returning vocal).

Plus in the last instrumental you need another instrument to play a lead. "Call and response." The instrumental could use a melody. You do a terrific job of layering the different textures. But texture does not a song make. (pretty close, though)

This really is very, VERY, VERY good. Don't take any of this the wrong way.

"What do I know ?"

(PS - I've never heard a 6 minute song on an internet forum that held my interest like this one. Maybe it works fine with all that texturing. It's just such a nice grove that it's hard to give it up. But don't change the levels on the instruments so much. The basic mix should be the same throughout. Maybe bring up a feature instrument as it comes in, then bring it down as the next one comes in, just like the vocal. But the overal mix volume should stay constant.)

Last edited by Marshall; 07-04-2010 at 08:38 PM.