View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
My guess: Amazon and big retailers get a wholesale price on shipping which they roll into their selling price. Mere mortals pay full-boat retail when we ship, to subsidize that. There is no free lunch. I know there is a big markup taking a package to my UPS store versus taking it directly to the shipping center at the airport, or taking something directly to the Post Office.
I wondered about this as well -so i asked my postmaster at my local post office -
he responded ( not his exact words but the heart of this ) amazon negotiated the rates because of very high volume basically they named the rate.

i also mentioned to him that some items would cost me more to ship than what the initial purchase price from an item from amazon is - which hurts small businesses ( like mine )

I wanted to give my son a Guild D-25 that i bought a few years back , but the shipping on was a bout 2/3 of what a new all wood guitar was at Musicians friend ( on close out ) - So i just ordered him that guitar from M.F.