View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropt View Post
I started to make another recording yesterday and the 60Hz hum was back with a vengeance. No amount of filtering would help and even light tension on the saddle caused the hum.

Microscopic cracks must develop in the shielding wrap over time and the string pressure on the saddle causes them to separate, resulting in an open circuit and the ground hum.

I took your advice and carefully put just over one wrap of aluminum foil snuggly around the entire element and it worked like a charm. Afterwards there was no sensitivity to placement or tension and the hum was 100% gone. The foil is so thin that I could not perceive any change in action or tone.

Conductive copper tape might work also but it could be thicker than the aluminum foil. And unlike my wrap, it might cause damage to the element if it needed to be adjusted or reapplied in the future.

I plan to do some more recording today so I'll see if the shield is still working. Thanks again for your suggestions.

I would also be wary of the copper tape; partly because it is relatively thick, as you say, partly because of the adhesive layer. This is why I went for the kitchen foil solution and not copper tape insulation even though I had some lying around.

Copper shielding foil is awesome stuff for shielding a MiM telecaster though!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden