View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpicker
I think it's time I got a compressor/limiter. I've got some sensitive mikes that occasionally distort when my dynamics change, basically ruining everything; but when I back the mikes off and twiddle knobs to try and handle my loudest signal, I lose the proximity effect from the mikes to the degree that the sound gets rather sallow.

It seems like the common solution is to put a compressor/limiter in the signal chain, set it so that it just intercepts the real spikes that would cause distortion without overly coloring my sound, and play on fearlessly. Some have advised not to do this b/c you can always add compression later, in mixing, but that doesn't help with my distortion issue - I'm not interested in compression as a sound coloring technique, so much.
The above posts pretty much identify what you should be trying to do to alleviate the problem, from gain structure tweaks, to playing technique adjustment to compression/limiting. There is nothing inherently wrong with using a compressor or limiter when tracking to mitigate the occasional spike you know will occur in the source performance. Using a clean/transparent compressor or limiter (not a colored one) will hopefully provide a recorded track that does not clip and its use will be invisible. Stealth.