View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 12:45 PM

Default Acoustic bellying, how much until worrying?

Hey all, new to the forum and this will be my first post.
Not sure if this is the right place to post but this seemed like the best of the discussions for my question.

I have a Yamaha FG-350W that I had just recently purchased after saving up for a while, and had noticed slight bulging on both the right and left sides of the guitar's lower body, right behind the bridge. However, there is no bellying in the middle/behind the middle of the bridge. I was wondering if this was sort of normal for the guitar since I have already read a few things saying that slight bellying was okay and natural for acoustic guitar tops, and seeing as it is pretty old, but the rest of the guitar is in very good shape for the age. Almost perfectly straight neck, with a bit of relief, mid-high action, and plays and sounds great.

I am personally not affected by the bellying, but I was wondering if it was something that would need to be looked at soon, since I will be playing it very often.

Any help would be very appreciated! If pictures are needed I will try to post some as best as I can!

Thanks!
- Bryan.