View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 08:47 AM

I strummed it pretty hard for about an hour last night, and there is a very slight buzz on the high e string when fretted only in a couple of places - I think it was the 3rd and 4th fret. I'll probably wait till everything settles back into place and if it still has that buzz, I think adding back just a touch of neck relief with the trussrod should eliminate it. It's barely noticeable.

I mentioned the gap under the fretboard in my post. Keep in mind, this guitar was pretty distorted from being dried out. the soundhole was sunken about 3/8" (it LOOKED worse than it measured), and the fretboard extension over the soundboard was pulled down at a pretty good angle into that sunken soundhole.

With the way this poor guitar has been stretched/pulled/shriveled/rehumidified/neck shaved, it's really not surprising things don't want to line up as new. I would imagine there are a couple of things I could do: oval-out the neck block holes to allow the neck to bolt on slightly lower, or just try inserting glue under the fretboard and then clamp it and force it back together as-is.

It seems to play just fine, so I'm not overly anxious to do anything about just yet.

As far as the frets being flat, to my knowledge, they've never been filed. Maybe I'll buy a fret file sometime and try to restore some shape to those frets. Next thing you know.... this will be back to being a $400 guitar

AM.