View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

I'm far from accomplished on the topic but over the past 10 years have gone through several recording setups starting with garage band on ipad, couple of mixers with stereo usb outs to DAW, and audio interfaces. I have two usage models: Play plugged in with headphones which puts me in my own little world, sometimes with another person or two. I find a mixer works best for that given the small delay using an audio interface which bugged me (maybe that's been fixed?). Second usage is I make multitrack recordings both with and without video mostly by myself but also sometimes with others. My current setup (recommended from this forum) is working pretty well. I'm using a Zoom livetrack-12 which is overkill on channels, but great for live and great for recording it to an SD card which I take to my computer area for post processing with a DAW (Audacity) and for mixing audio and video. This may sound complicated but its actually quite easy. Would be killer if the mixer had wifi so I didn't have to pull the SD card, but that's not a big deal. Just saw that Zoom now has a Livetrack 8 for about $400. I may sell my 12 and get one of those since it's plenty for my needs, smaller, and portable (operates optionally off batteries).
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke