View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

The length of the growing season, which may correlate to the amount of moisture (as rain) the tree receives is a factor. (Elevation and latitude are indicators here.) So, "faster" means that it gets bigger in the same timespan, perhaps, but the tree isn't really growing faster - it just has more time within which it can grow, assuming we're talking the same or comparable species and other factors, like soil, nutrients, etc.

So, wider grain could mean younger, but it could also just mean it was a bigger tree. Grain width alone doesn't mean that the wood is softer, if that's the concern. Of course, if you're comparing yellow pine in the US Gulf Coast with Alpine spruce, that's different.

P.S. Photo-chemically reactive lacquer might darken if you hang your guitar outside in the sun. You might also soften the glue or expose it to an unexpected rainstorm! Or, you can get a UV light and try that if you're in a hurry. Or hang out a lot in smoky bars with the case open, perhaps.