View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinco View Post
Of course there is a fingerstyle style that's more forgiving - country blues. There's a certain raw unpolished quality to good country blues. Polishing it up too much loses it. As an example, an unintentional mutted note from a finger on top of a fret can often sound wonderful, in an unexpected way. Especially if you are improvising and can dwell on it for a while, and draw it into the groove.

I'm not saying you should be intentionally sloppy when playing blues, but a high level of polish and precision isn't necessary and in fact often takes something away from the feel and emotion of the blues. IMHO of course.
Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more with you about that. All the great country blues musicians played very cleanly... from Charley Patton, Blind Lemon, Robert Johnson to the contemporaries like Mary Flower and Steve James.

However, this is the subject of a completely different thread.

Getting back to the OP's subject... the advice from Larry J and Landru is well worth noting. Playing some basic right hand patterns while playing various chords will help you clean up your playing. Taking classical lessons would also help... I know they helped me.