View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 05:31 PM

Default Dean Markley Guitar DM-41 RARE

This is a rare Dean Markley DM-41 acoustic. I got this new directly from Dean in 2004 when he was contemplating bringing a line of acoustics to market. Obviously he chose not to go forward with the venture.

He told me he had about 25 made with a few variations - two and three piece backs - some, like this one, with his new line of acoustic pick ups some without (not sure if the pickups made it to market either). My neighbor has one like this but with a three piece back. I paid Dean $2k (his approximate cost) for it and even then it was a hell of a buy for it's build quality. Beautiful abalone inlay and binding, rosewood body and spruce top. I believe this one was going to retail at around $3600 in 2004. No idea what it's worth now, but many guitar shops and guitar people don't believe that it exists without being shown.

It has the look of a Takamine and for good reason. Dean said he enlisted their senior master luthier to make these. I love this guitar but I can't say it wins out over my HD-28 or my Taylor 714 non-cutaway, but it gives them a run for the money. Big loud sound even for a dreadnought, bright with a lot of bass.

KK
Austin, Texas